Lieutenant H.G. CAMPBELL
Lieutenant Colonel Edward De Santis ©2008
Campbell was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers (Territorial Force) on the 4th of December 1915. Following his commissioning he was posted to the Tyne Electrical Engineers at Haslar Barracks, west of Portsmouth Harbour.
On the 1st of June 1916, Campbell was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant while he was stationed at North Shields on the River Tyne. Shortly after his promotion he was posted to No. 56 (Tyne) Anti-Aircraft Company at York.
In March of 1917 Campbell was posted to command No. 28 Anti-Aircraft Searchlight Section at Haslar. In April of 1917 he proceeded with the section to Rouen. For the remainder of the war his section served throughout France and Flanders and was posted to St. Omer in April of 1918 and to Ypres and Courtrai in October of 1918. When the armistice was declared on the 11th of November 1918, Campbell's section was located north of Tournai.
Campbell moved to Cologne, Germany with his section in 1919. In December of 1919 he took command of No. 8 Anti- Aircraft Searchlight Section in Cologne. In March of 1920 he returned to England with his section and was assigned to duties at Headquarters of the Tyne Electrical Engineers at Clifford's Fort, North Shields.
The Tyne Electrical Engineers were disbanded shortly after Campbell's arrival at North Shields and then, on the 30th of July 1921 the unit was reconstituted. Campbell was assigned to No. 2 Electric Light Company at Hartley. On the 22nd of November 1922 Campbell was promoted to the rank of Captain and assigned to the 10th Anti-Aircraft Battalion, Royal Engineers in London. This unit was subsequently redesignated the 26th (London) Anti-Aircraft Battalion (London Electrical Engineers).
Campbell was promoted to the rank of Major, Territorial Army Reserve of Officers on the 2nd of January 1925. For his service during the Great War of 1914-1918, Campbell was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
Monthly Army Lists for 1919, 1920 and 1926.