160370 Sapper FRANK ALDWORTH
ŠLieutenant Colonel Edward De Santis, 1999.
Frank Aldworth was born in Abingson, Berkshire, the son of William and Charlotte Aldworth of 15, West St. Helen Street in Abingdon. The Aldworths also had another son, Arthur, who served in the Royal Engineers during the Great War of 1914-1918.
Prior to the start of the Great War, Frank Aldworth worked as a plumber and was a member of "F" Company, 4th Battalion, Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire) Regiment, Territorial Army. He enlisted for service in the Royal Engineers in 1915 and was posted as a Sapper to the 56th Field Company, R.E., a Regular Army unit and part of the British 3rd Division.
Sapper Aldworth served with the 3rd Division in France and Flanders. He first went into the front line near Bazentin-le- Grand on the 14th of July 1916. The 56th Field Company subsequently moved to a position near Delville Wood on the 18th of July 1916 and took part in its first major action at Ancre on the 13th of November 1916.
Throughout January and February of 1917 Aldworth and his company were located near the Beaumont Hamel spur. During the battle of Arras on the 23rd of April 1917, the company was at Tilloy-Lez-Mofflained. From this point on in the war the unit took part in the following major actions:
First Battle of the Scarpe: 23 April 1917
Arleux: 28 April 1917
Second Battle of the Scarpe: 3 May 1917
Menin Road: 20 September 1917
Polygon Wood: 26 September 1917
Cambrai: 20 November 1917
St. Quentin: 21 March 1918
Bapaume: 24 March 1918
Arras: 28 March 1918
Estaires: 9 April 1918
Hazebrouck: 12 April 1918
Bethune: 18 April 1918
Sapper Aldworth was shot by a German sniper on the 31st of May 1918. He subsequently died of his wounds and was buried in Plot II, Row E, Grave 12 at Cemetery Fr. 10 in Pernes, France.
For his service during the Great War Frank Aldworth was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.
|Cemetery:||PERNES BRITISH CEMETERY, Pas de Calais, France|
|Grave Reference/Panel Number:||II. E. 12.|
|Location:||Pernes-en-Artois is a small town on the main road from Lillers to St Pol. The British Cemetery is nearly one kilometre west of the town on the road to Sains-les-Pernes.|
|Historical Information:||Until April, 1918, the town was on the French or British lines of communication; but in that month the medical units were driven back by the German advance and the 1st Canadian and 4th Canadian Casualty Clearing Stations came to Pernes and began the Cemetery. They remained until July. In May the 6th and 22nd Clearing Stations came, and in August the 13th Clearing Station, and these remained until September. Almost all the burials were made by these units; but Graves 2 to 13 in Plot VI., Row C, were brought after the Armistice from the small British Cemeteries of Anvin and Wavrans, on the railway line from St. Pol to Montreuil. In addition, the grave of one United Kingdom soldier buried in Pernes Churchyard was added at a later date. There are now over 1,000, 1914-18 and nearly 20, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. The Cemetery covers an area of 4,157 square metres.|
1. Soldiers Died in the Great War.
2. Battle Honours of the Royal Engineers. The Royal Engineer Journal, The Institution of Royal Engineers, Chatham, Kent, 1925-1932.
3. Commonwealth War Graves Commission.